Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Read This All Day. I Do.

I majored in poetry in college, but never really had a favorite poem until way after I graduated and found a book in my parents' house that I bought in ninth grade on a recommendation from my favorite English teacher. He had this thing for the Beats and so we all did, because we were suburban and angsty and what's better than Ferlinghetti to read (with drum accompaniment) at some idiotic open mic at a bar where none of us could drink?

Anyway, this is my favorite poem. It's on my desk, I look at it all day, every day, and I keep liking it better and better. The spacing is all funky like Ferlinghetti's always is but I'm not sure I can do it on this stupid site, so fuck it.

25

Cast up
the heart flops over
gasping 'Love'

a foolish fish which tries to draw
its breath from flesh of air

And no one there to hear its death
among the sad bushes
where the world rushes by
in a blather of asphalt and delay

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter Blogarama - The Blog Directory