Sunday, November 19, 2006

Request Challenge 5: What's Your Na-aame? (What's Your Name?) Who's Your Daddy? (Who's Your Daddy?)

What am I going to name my future children? Foster and Ward.

No, really. Right now I'm far from positive I ever want kids, but maybe some biological alarm clock is ticking in my ovaries and some, like, Tuesday morning on the subway, my pelvis will ring and I'll really, really want to have a kid. Currently I just want a dog, and even that I'm holding off on because I don't think I can adequately take care of it. A baby carries with it six thousand times more responsibility than a dog.

And pesky legal penalties for forgetting to feed it. Oh, LAWS.

Inoculations and proper nutrition and breastfeeding are the horrible parts of thinking about children. Names, however, are fun. I'd be lying if I said I never thought about what I'd name a baby if I had one. I'm not crazy about my name (although it could be worse -- I could be a Cathy. That "C" is seriously the last straw. If I was a Cathy I might as well just pull on the stretch pants and embrace my future as a shoe-shopping, bathing-suit-hating, bonbon-eating divorcee), so I'd like to give any hypothetical children a name I thought was really cool.

So, for a girl: Eloise, after the protagonist of my all-time favorite book by Kay Thompson. For a boy: Johnny, middle name Dixon, after the coolest nerd hero ever, from a series of books I loved in third grade. Does anyone else remember The Mummy, The Will, and The Crypt? Or the Curse of the Blue Figurine? No? You just remember romping in the sunlight during the summer? Instead of spending your two months off trying to complete the library's 100 book reading challenge twice?

Dorks.

2 Comments:

Blogger jwag said...

I read The Curse of the Blue Figurine as a very pale, indoorsy seven year old, and remember being incredibly afraid of just about everything for about a week and a half afterward. Paticularly, I remember standing in our bright, sunny front yard and feeling nothing but abject terror, having read that book earlier in the day.

PLEASE name your son Johnny Dixon.
I'll name mine Johnny Truant.

6:55 PM  
Blogger What'sHerFace said...

Weren't those books the best? I would read them in, basically, one sitting, and finishing one was like coming up for air. You were terrified for hours, but then you knew everything was going to be okay by the time you got to the last chapter when absolutely everything was spelled out. They were most definitely the proto-Harry Potter, but they get no love. But, yeah, Johnny Dixon. For real.

12:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter Blogarama - The Blog Directory