Monday, October 23, 2006

Notes and Errata

I have a really long post that I wrote at home and finished except for the last paragraph, but I forgot to e-mail it to myself so I can’t put it up. It’s a good one, too—freaks and witches and some stuff about the Inquisition. But you can’t read it yet. Because I left it at home. Like trigonometry homework. Except this I actually did.

I wanted to post something in the meantime, so I'm just going to cut and paste from a notebook I've recently started keeping. It’s not quite a journal, because that’s too high pressure, and also too horrible if I lose it, which, given the track record with my wallet lately (two losses in two weeks) is all but guaranteed. It’s just a place to write shit down. To do lists, books I want to read, albums I want to listen to, urgent doodles, and the occasional pseudo-journal entry. The book might end up a journal in the end, but for now it’s working as is.

Anyway, here are the greatest hits of Stuff I Thought Was Important Enough to Write Down Over the Last Week That’s Not Too Embarrassing.

-I’m sitting in Starbucks, and there’s a guy in the corner making a sales pitch. Again. He was here yesterday trying to enlist participants in a scheme that sounds suspicious, or at least suspiciously pyramidal. He is wearing the same shirt and tie as yesterday, working on an ancient laptop (which is making AIM noises), but selling people the line that he started a web company and bought his first house at the age of 21. I can’t believe anything he’s said so far is true, and judging by the fact that he’s back today, doing business in Starbucks, neither can anyone else. Infomercials in action!

-Craig Claiborne

-“And it should be noted that there was a defect in the formation of the first woman, since she was formed of a bent rib…which is bent as it were in a contrary direction to a man.” (From the Malleus Maleficarum)

-Why do I instantly develop a crush of gigantic proportions on any guy who speaks to me? It’s fucking Pavlovian! Ding! I’m drooling.

-Songs of 10/20/2006
Art Brut: Anything, but particularly “Emily Kane” and “My Little Brother. And “Formed a Band.” And the rest of it.
Spinto Band: “Oh Mandy”
The Rapture: “The Devil,” just for that weird noise in the middle.
The Sounds: Because I woke up with old Sounds stuck in my head, which concerns me.

-I look like an asshole today. Wrong shirt, wrong pants, no shower, rained on twice now. Maybe not “asshole.” Maybe just like shit. Something butt-related.

-The Hold Steady is the best thing that has ever happened to me. I think that if anyone ever asked me to defend why I like them, the answer would be “Because they make me feel something.” But I wouldn’t actually say that, because saying that out loud would make me a total douchebag.

-“I met hundreds and thousands of people, and none finer than the midgets and the Siamese twins and the caterpillar man and the bearded woman and the human seal with the little flippers for hands. I never asked them any embarrassing questions, and they never asked me, and God, it was a great adventure.” (Johnny Eck, a.k.a. The Half-Man, Johnny Half-Boy)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter Blogarama - The Blog Directory