Tuesday, June 06, 2006

Vocabulary Lesson for Senator Brownback

"It is not bigotry to define marriage as a union of a man and a woman," said Senator Sam Brownback, Republican of Kansas.
--NYT, 6/6/06

I've had a long and complicated relationship with Senator Brownback. Last year he proposed the Unborn Child Pain Awareness Act, legislation based on dubious science and written specifically to manipulate women considering abortion. The fight we're in today doesn't have anything to do with his "culture of life" views, but I thought it couldn't hurt to frame his statement within a larger context.

In this case, the context is a set of rigid, intolerant, and hateful views.

When I read Senator Brownback's statement above, I went over to trusty Dictionary.com to check the definition of the word "bigotry." Turns out that, actually, it is bigotry to define marriage as a union as strictly between a man and a woman. The definition of bigotry is "the intolerance and prejudice of a bigot."

Denying same sex couples the rights and recognition that come with legal marriage based on personal distaste is about as textbook a case of intolerance as I can think of.

So, you know, rather than let a senator embarrass himself over a little thing like vocabulary, I printed it out the definition. Then I stuck on a little Post-it that said, "Actually, it IS." Then I mailed it to him.

You can do the same! Just print this, add your own flair (highlighting "intolerance" is always fun..I used blue! It's in the flag!) and then send it off. Man, I love the Internet:

Senator Sam Brownback
303 Hart Senate Office Bldg.
Washington, D.C. 20510
Phone: (202) 224-6521
Fax: (202) 228-1265

7 Comments:

Blogger katy said...

Now that has to be one of the most brilliant forms engaging the other side! Ever! Good job!

11:53 AM  
Anonymous anonymous mom said...

printed it, mailed it. excellent idea!

2:16 PM  
Anonymous anonymous mom said...

yeah, and faxed it too!

2:18 PM  
Blogger Melissa said...

Absolutely brilliant. In the interests of starting a movement, I'm linking to this one on my blog. Let's cover his office in dictionary.com references...

3:52 PM  
Blogger What'sHerFace said...

Sweet! I'm so excited!

3:55 PM  
Anonymous Kait said...

oh yea, count me in!

5:14 AM  
Anonymous nicole - yeah that one said...

i'm on the wagon
lets do 10 a peice

9:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter Blogarama - The Blog Directory