Monday, June 12, 2006

Shedding My Skin

When you were a kid, did you ever make some horrible face at your mother only to have her retort, "Yeah, keep it up. You want it to freeze like that?" It was just the kind of threat that got me to stop crossing my eyes and sticking out my tongue, because even though I knew she was probably bluffing (when was the last time you saw some girl on the street with flared nostrils and her pinkies glued to the corners of her stretched mouth?), it would make for a shitty future (do you want to be that girl? No.).

Anyway, this whole idea that if you keep doing something, it's going to be stuck with you forever, uninvited. There may be some truth to that. Why? I think I've used so many outlandish extended metaphors in my life that I have become one.

I got a new job. And soon I will be literally shedding my skin.

On Friday I got a phone call from a company I interviewed with a few weeks ago, and they offered me a really exciting job doing exactly the kind of work I've been wishing for these past nineteen months. Then, on Sunday, I spent a few hours on the beach at Coney Island and got a horrible sunburn on my back which will, in about a day, be peeling off.

I will never use an exaggerated metaphor again. This hurts like a motherfucker.

8 Comments:

Blogger katy said...

No pain, no gain?

Congratulations!!!

5:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats Cathy.

Hopefully this job involves writing in some sort of public forum, so that more may enjoy your incandescent utterances?

You'll miss the medical reports though, won't you? Just slightly? Yeah you will.

Nathan

6:35 PM  
Anonymous Stupid boy said...

Congratulations! Keep going with the metaphors though, I like em.

5:32 AM  
Anonymous nicole - yeah that one said...

you will not have to relocate -right? and lose the pleasure of living with b rad?
congrats

9:09 AM  
Anonymous Rebecca said...

Sometimes I think our brains work in disturbingly similar ways, despite how different we are.

9:19 AM  
Blogger gwen said...

congratulations!
and seconding what Nathan said. you really should be getting paid for this.

2:19 PM  
Blogger What'sHerFace said...

Thanks guys! To answer the questions, no I don't have to move, and sadly, I'm not getting paid to blog about having to pee or the old photocopier.

5:22 PM  
Anonymous anonymous mom said...

Yay Kathy!

1:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter Blogarama - The Blog Directory