Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Statistics are Fun

So I'm an admitted American Idol watcher. I'm pro Kelly Pickler, the spunky southern one. She may not have the best voice of the group but she's really charming. Not the brightest bulb on the Christmas tree. But still, if she won me over she's probably got the entire country rooting for her. I also like Mandisa quite a bit because she can sing, but also because she's got the balls to use one name even though she's an absolute unknown. And I love that freak Taylor Hicks. He is what every dad driving a minivan thinks he sounds like when he sings along to George Thorogood on the radio.

Chris Daughtry's going to win, though.

Anyway, here's what amazes me about American Idol, and this country in general. Ryan Seacrest opened the show by saying that in the two hours the phone lines were open after last night's show, 32,000,000 people voted.

According to the US Census bureau, only 168,000,000 people voted in the 2004 presidential election.

Shit is fucked.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nope, there were 32 million VOTES, but rest assured every 12-year-old girl in the country voted 200 times apiece.

Also, Kellie Pickler is a horrible phony and needs to die. She's like a less-verbose Jessica Simpson.
-Clare

10:40 AM  
Anonymous brad said...

Seacrest said "32 million people voted." And I don't think Kellie is phony at all, I think she's just dumb. And talkative. Like Leanne, only Leanne wasn't dumb, she was... inquisitive.

12:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Seacrest is a filthy liar, I say. But I suppose it's possible. Goes to show where people's priorities are, definitely.

I just think it's hilarious that chances are more people voted for Kevin Covais than for their senator.
-Clare

12:42 PM  
Blogger katy said...

Well of course more people vote for Kevin Covais (who?) than their senators. Have you ever heard the Singing Senators. They're awful.

Then again if we stopped asking what albums Presidential candidates used to get high to and made them sing instead maybe we could finally get-out-the-vote!

1:35 PM  
Anonymous anonymousslacker said...

i suppose i'm not allowed to complain about the american idol winner if i don't vote...

3:57 PM  
Anonymous andrea said...

Ima throw like, 8 cents worth of opinion on this one.
#1: you are ALWAYS allowed to complain about american idol. Part of its entertainment value is seeing what kind of shitty taste the rest of the country apparently has. Also it actually is plausible that you had better things to do than vote.

On the Kellie issue, I'm anti. I think that she genuinely is that stupid, but I guess I'm not the sort to find it charming. I also think she's waaay too accustomed to hearing "you're so cute" or some variation thereof, and that somewhere deep down she knows that it means she doesn't have to get smarter.

5:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter Blogarama - The Blog Directory