Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Pi-kath-sso. Me-net.

As can be seen over at Brad's, I've got this new hobby. But I'm sort of embarrassed to say what it is, because it's only the supremest of supreme assholes who's like I go home after work and paint. As true as this technically may be, I do it while watching Everybody Loves Raymond, and I have to stop often because the nacho cheese powder on my fingers is making the brush sticky. Does this make a difference? I don't know. Yes, it does, to me. I don't have an easel, or anything. I mix colors on a paper plate and I paint on my lap, or, in a real pinch, on top of an old Delia's catalog.

Anyway, so this is the Virgin de Kathalupe:

...who I think looks a little sunburned. And a little bit like she's been sipping on the grape Kool-Aid. Why religious iconography? I don't know. I think it's just an excuse to use gold paint.

Although I clearly don't need much excuse. I likes me the gold.

So, basically, my point is that someone should hand me lump sum so large I would need to use scientific notation to put it on paper, and save me from the soul-sucking routine of office work, lest I begin painting fax machines and blue screen errors exclusively.

No, that's not my point. (Not that I wouldn't accept checks, or money orders or PayPal. Even a bag of nonsequential bills. Unrolled pennies? I've got rent to pay.) My point is actually that if you hear me say something like "I paint," or "I painted that," or "I was painting," I'm not a douche. Remember to imagine my pajama pants. This is the only time you will ever have my permission to picture me with orange cheez all over my mouth. Relish the chance.

4 Comments:

Blogger katy said...

This would actually be a very good way to make the "suits" very uncomfortable.

"So what exactly do you do with a degree in poetry? Hmmm?"

"I paint."

Cricket Cricket.

They are lovely! They are really really beautiful!

8:04 AM  
Anonymous Rebecca said...

I really like those, Kathy. Especially the hand -- perhaps that's because Christian images don't do much for my Jewish sensibility. :) And I promise to consider the truth of how you paint and not compare you to those stupid painters.

11:53 AM  
Anonymous anonymousmom said...

awesome. the flowers are over the top.

for all anyone knows, if you say you paint, they may assume you're talking about bathroom walls.

i say i work on "pieces" (crap) for my "show" (fleamarket booth). whatever.

the only people who use the word "pretentious" are pretentious, no? according to btw anyways.

12:08 PM  
Anonymous Stupid Boy said...

Me Likee! I've got a box full of Icons in plastic gold frames I got as souveneirs from friends holidays. Keep painting!

1:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter Blogarama - The Blog Directory