Tuesday, February 07, 2006

For Tuesday, Some Thoughts.

-Spice, when attached to a food name, means "All the clove jelly beans you spit out as a kid are about to take violent revenge on whatever nice flavor came before the word spice." Vanilla spice, cinnamon apple spice; it's all a little genocide in your mouth.

-Today I heard electronic selections from the Nutcracker and electronic rooster noises coming out of the same office.

-The Times published an article about a some scientists who discovered twenty new species of frogs, four new butterflies, the largest rhododendron on record, and a new species of bird called the honeyeater. There's this accompanying picture of the new bird, which is very yellow, eating a bright blue berry. It looks like some kid got too creative with his markers.

-Leather pants don't look good on anyone. I fear the Brokeback trickle-down effect.

-The International Society of Poets, which is totally a respected academic community and definitely not a pyramid scheme trying to wrestle $49.95 away from me since I was in fifth grade and they got my address, sent me an e-mail today in which they state: Whether you write poetry for the satisfaction it gives you, or as a personal way to record your innermost feelings, or as a hobby, through your membership you and your poetry will be recognized by thousands of people from all over the world. To my untrained, un-upgraded, "associate-level free membership" eye, those first three options don't seem all that contradictory to me. Whether you write poetry in your diary for no money, write poetry in your diary for no money, or write poetry in your diary for no money, you should send us your money.

-Do you think Paris Hilton and Stavros Niarchos are sufficiently rich and famous that he could send her a bouquet of the newly discovered giant rhododendron?

-I spent a while yesterday looking at MySpace profiles of people I knew in high school. A lot of people I liked turned out so very cool. I'm glad karma works that way. I also marvel that I managed--with all the terrifying precision of Robocop--to target, hone in on, and like certain boys a full five years before they matured into cute hipsterity.

-What happens when they grow up and start dressing like middle aged men? Hipsterectomy.

-I'm a genius.

-Lentils. Once my enemy, now my friend.

-Valley of the Dolls is the dumbest, most entertaining thing I've read in a long time. I've never read a book in my life that actually used the words ....hold me...just hold me.

-I need some new music. I recently found one song by Nightmare of You that I really like, even though it's a little bit cheesy. Actually, that's probably the reason I like it. And I sort of like the the Broadcast album (Tender Buttons, a phrase that strikes me as so gross I can barely type it, let alone say it out loud), but I'm not in love with it. The new Cat Power let me down too. Anyone have anything they absolutely love? If I love it too I promise to give you a finder's footnote when I recommend it to anyone else.

-Joel "Joe Waverly" Cacace was the acting boss of the Colombo crime family until he was sentenced to twenty years in prison for overseeing what the New York Times called "one of the most nightmarishly botched mob murders in history." My relation to him is dubious. Unless I don't like you.

6 Comments:

Anonymous brad said...

-You were the victim of a botched booboplasty.

3:48 PM  
Blogger Sara Z. said...

I'm totally into Brandi Carlile's debut CD. You sort of have to like singer/songwriter rootsy whatever people. She's kinda a female Ryan Adams. I have one of her songs on my mp3 blog at http://sarasongs.livejournal.com

6:40 PM  
Anonymous Andrea said...

wait... you're not still just listening to sh'boom on repeat?

7:14 PM  
Anonymous stupid boy said...

There's an Irish band called 'The Frames' that are kinda legendary here but possibly unknown anywhere else. Pulp you've probably heard of already but they're always worth a mention.

Rhododendrons are a menace.

4:42 AM  
Blogger What'sHerFace said...

Thank you one and all for your suggestions, minus Brad. I'm going to investigate them tonight. Also, Andrea, I lost that song when my computer died, and forgot about it until now. Amen, I say, amen. Sh-Boom shall live again!

5:00 PM  
Anonymous g funk said...

i'm really diggin the arctic monkeys lately. that's a band, not a new species. oh, and i like the isobel campbell/mark lanegan record, too.

12:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter Blogarama - The Blog Directory