Monday, July 11, 2005

We're Not in Kansas Any More

I welcomed a new addition to my electronic family this weekend. Dorothy, my sleek new Toshiba Satellite M45-S165 notebook computer replaced one deceased Mr. Hugh Littpackard as the object of my technological esteem. The HP will be buried near Phil, my former iPod, and the empty grave of Steve, my other former iPod who is missing and presumed dead.

On Saturday my reliably unreliable desktop computer went on the fritz. After a couple of false starts and a dazzling blue screen error, it became clear that it was irreparably, irreversably fucked. In the last five months I've had to 'system restore' the thing at least five times, and completely reformat it twice. I could barely get it to turn on this time, and when I finally got it to reformat I had lost everything on it; all the music I hadn't backed up (and that I had paid for!), all of my recent photos, all of my recent writing.

After a brief crying jag and nearly tearing off the CD tray with my bare hands or maybe teeth, I decided it was time to bite the extraordinarily expensive bullet and get a new computer.

Meet Dorothy.

She's a little pricey, but she comes with a rebate. She's svelte, she's sleek, she sounds great, and most importantly she has not crashed, frozen, or even stuttered once since I brought her home yesterday. I nearly gave her a name of the "Phil" or "Steve" ilk, but realizing that all of the electronics I've been asked to engender who've been male have let me down, I named her after Dorothy Parker whose book of short stories I'm reading.

I have another meeting, so I'll leave you to tenderly trace Dorothy's curves on your screens. I'll finish the rest of this from home. From my bed, if I damn well please! I've got a laptop!

6 Comments:

Anonymous Mike said...

That's the kind of computer my mom has. The keyboard is a little weird, but widescreen DVD presentation is a nice li'l feature.

I hope Dorothy treats you right, not like those one-night-stand electronic fellers you've been struggling with.

6:14 PM  
Anonymous brad said...

mine is a toshiba satellite also, albeit an older one with a grayer keyboard, but it hasn't yet let me down. it's so much faster and more reliable than my shitty old compaq pc... though i guess it would have to be.

6:32 PM  
Anonymous brad said...

also, 80g hard drive and dvd burner? you're a shitty bitch and i hate you. in your hard drive you could fit my 25g desktop and 15g laptop twice each.

6:35 PM  
Anonymous Mike said...

80gigs?! I was watching an old episode of $100,000 Pyramid a while back and a contestant won a then state-of-the-art computer with "64Kilobytes of memory!" And I think that was worth more than the amount of money that they actually won.

10:42 PM  
Anonymous Rebecca said...

Ooh, lucky lucky you. I've been eyeing the Toshiba Satellite M55-S135 lately. Toshibas are by far the best computers. I hope that we can afford it soon, since our current computer doesn't have a CD burner, the DVD player is broken, the space bar only works if you hit it with your left hand (and I can't do that), and the fans are in upside down, so it overheats and crashes daily, not to mention that it burns your lap if you try to hold it.

11:04 AM  
Blogger What'sHerFace said...

Sounds like a gem! Actually, it sounds about on par with most of the electronics I've owned. So far so good with the new computer, though (all fingers, toes, eyes, streets, etc. crossed)

11:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter Blogarama - The Blog Directory