Friday, April 22, 2005

Blimps and Hos

Despite my wardrobe malfunction (which, actually, made for a great conversation opener), my interview yesterday went swimmingly. You are permitted to uncross your fingers, but you are required to keep thinking wonderful thoughts about me until I hear whether or not I'm hired.

(Like you could even help it.)

Seriously, I couldn't have asked for it to go any better. The woman I'd be working for was incredible, and, like a small, blonde, female, publishing Santa Claus, loaded me up with four books just to "take a look at." Not to mention that hearing the description of the position come out of her mouth was like opening the floodgates on an ice cream river and taking a ride on a cherry boat. Tons of reading, actual editing, a beautiful office, great co-workers, more vacation days, more sick days, better benefits, longer holidays, and a pay raise.

I. Really. Want. This. Job.

I met up with my friend Virginia afterwards. She works at the company I interviewed with, and she had nothing but great things to say about the place as well. If I did get the job I would work in the cube one floor directly above her. This affords me the real opportunity I've always dreamed of: to work out an intricate language based on foot thumps and broomstick taps.

As Virginia and I sat outside a coffee place kibbitzing, I happened to look up. The Goodyear blimp was trolling around, which is always kind of a good, lucky sign in and of itself. Ridiculously, yesterday it was also scrolling the message LIVE FOR TODAY! GO WHERE YOUR DREAMS TAKE YOU! across its ticker.

I felt like the epilogue to a terribly written preadolescent novel, wherein the bookish yet spunky main character endures trials and tribulations only to find herself and eventually land her dream job.

Then I realized that the message was actually an advertisement for the Today show, and I drank my coffee and thought about how maybe I should learn to keep my bookish yet stupid mouth shut.

So now there's just the waiting to be done, though I'm not sure for how long. The woman I spoke with in Human Resources mentioned something about the company "knowing where they stood" with the job by the end of next week, "hopefully," but that doesn't sound particularly committal. She also said that they've had an unbelievable amount of applicants for the position, so many that they've been interviewing for a week, have more interviews next week, and still the applications are a-pourin' in from jobless liberal arts grads, and that they have actually begun burning them for heat, using them as toilet paper, making hundreds of oragami fortune tellers, etc.

So maybe keep one hand crossed, okay?

**Addendum: Go read Buckley today. I was laughing so hard (but so silently) at my desk that I thought I was going to pop some kinda blood vessel in my face.

6 Comments:

Anonymous brad said...

i'm crossing everything. i've crossed fingers and toes, legs and elbows; i've crossed hairs and ears, and i've crossed my shirt over my belt and in through my zipper. i've crossed bathmats and garden hoses, and i've crossed the cat over the dog. also, i should mention... i've crossed you. tomorrow's page six has the photos of you in a bra kissing strangers in a dorm room.

11:55 AM  
Blogger What'sHerFace said...

I can't believe my defense was going to be "But she wasn't a stranger!"

Liberal arts school plus bottom shelf vodka equals no public office for any of us.

11:58 AM  
Blogger What'sHerFace said...

Also, I wish my life was actually one-eighth as exciting as those two comments make it sound.

11:59 AM  
Anonymous brad said...

i said strangerS. how could i narrow it down to one night?

3:14 PM  
Blogger What'sHerFace said...

You and I (and to be fair, a dormful of then underage drinkers) both know there was only one night when I didn't have a shirt on.

5:41 PM  
Blogger Buckley said...

Uncontrollably (sp?) powerful please-give-Kathy-the-job vibes were welling up in me as I read through today's post Kathy, and I would really really really love to see you get the job of your dreams; but now that I've got to the end and see you were so nice to me, I feel kinda like a suck up saying it.

Trust me, though I adore the flattery, I am unswayed by it and have almost as many things crossed as brad for you.

Buckles :-)

6:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter Blogarama - The Blog Directory