Tuesday, February 22, 2005

I Been Searching For So Long / And I Been Singing The Same Songs

Back from my three-day weekend, I've spent a highly productive two hours at work this morning staring at the piles of paper on my desk and marvelling at how little work they yield.

I've also listened to the Sun's new album, having (at long last!) successfully transferred it to my iPod. I don't know why I feel so maternal about this band, but I really do speak about them to strangers with a pride usually reserved for the fruit of one's own loins. Buy everything they have available thus far, and then put it on some sort of portable listening device, and then listen to "Sandy" over and over as you walk to work, and dance at all the red lights, and smile at the cop in the cop car who laughs at you dancing at the red light. Then wait on the edge of your seat for their new album. Then buy that too.

Then go see them in concert, because they're really good, and sometimes, if you're lucky, you'll be brave enough to talk to their extraordinarily attractive bass player, who is very nice. I mean, they're all cute. But that's not the point. These fuckers are G-O-O-D. The one time I saw them play, their lead singer's glasses flew off his face--an event I can personally vouch is the hallmark of someone totally, completely rocking out.

I rocked out all weekend, lemme tell you. I rocked out cleaning my room, I rocked out rearranging my furniture. I totally fucking rocked out watching eight hours of Project Runway, and I rocked out even more hardcore dropping my little brother off at his self-described "nerd night." He was going to a friend's house to play Magic, he explained, because if you don't do something on-purpose-nerdy for a while every now and then, it'll slip out at an inopportune time.

True. Although, I think that even if my Project Runway fascination were to slip out in this particular office, I'd be greeted with a jealous, "Oh man! You watch TV? That's so bad-ass! I spent all weekend changing the litterboxes and treating my extreme nasal allergies!"

I suppose I did leave my house once this weekend. I had dinner on Saturday night with Kai and my family at the Cheesecake Factory to celebrate my dad's birthday. Seated in the deepest bowels of the restaurant, I consumed enough food to occupy even the deepest bowels of my person.

Stuck for something to do afterwards, Kai and I dropped in on her friends Matt and Liz, the goth power-couple of the decade. They threw their box of Hennessy in the trunk and we took off towards Pizza and Brew, the restaurant that saw a great portion of my parents' courtship way, way back in the day. I learned quite a bit about the recent population turnover in the New York vampire community, and, as well, had a passionate discussion about how the ban on moshing at concerts is creating children who cannot cope with agression. Not that I go to mosh-able concerts anymore, but the Hole concert I emerged from with bruised ribs and my jeans torn up to my knees [NOT ON A SEAM; physically, do you know how much effort that takes? A LOT of riot grrrl strength, that's how much.] was an important moment in my early adolescence.

It's funny to think that, for those two, Cradle of Filth is the soundtrack of their affection for each other. Or--inasmuch as relationships can be gauged by infomercials--that there are people who really find Patti LaBelle or Luther Vandross incredibly romantic. Or that other people have an Amy Grant kind of love.

Personally, I'm on the lookout for a "Sandy" romance. Perhaps this is why I'm single.

9 Comments:

Anonymous brad said...

pretty much, my love is "oops! i did it again."

11:36 AM  
Blogger What'sHerFace said...

That's okay. "Sandy" is what I'm shooting for. What I've got is probably...well, I went through several song titles trying to find the actual state of my love life.

"Sullen Girl" was too much.
"Maybe Not" by Cat Power was too vague.
"Walking with a Ghost" was almost it.

But I've settled on a tie between:

"Whatsername" off American Idiot and "Let Your Mind Be Your Bed" by our friend Felix.

11:51 AM  
Anonymous Mike said...

Or that other people have an Amy Grant kind of love.One time we had a sub in my first grade music class who just photocopied a bunch of lyrics to Amy Grant songs and told us to sing along as she listened to the tape. What a scam.

As for the luv soundtrack, I'm at the "Take Me Out" stage...perpetually...hmmmmm...

1:50 PM  
Blogger What'sHerFace said...

"Take Me Out" is brilliant! Exactly what I was going for. Although it does kind of lose the desperately masturbatory ring of "Let Your Mind Be Your Bed."

1:52 PM  
Anonymous Andrea said...

Dibs on the Temptations, "Just My Imagination."

1:58 PM  
Blogger What'sHerFace said...

I like it, I like it. For myself, I'm also a fan of "Shit Luck" by Modest Mouse.

2:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i cant choose between steal your love by lucinda williams combat baby by metric or stabbed in the face by wolf eyes. either which way the love is strong.

12:13 AM  
Blogger Buckley said...

What a cool game.

I think in the beginning of my search for love (sadly) my song was 'lily' by the smashing pumpkins, then I was saved by a 'you showed me' by the turtles (man that's old skool). I followed this with long months of 'lilac wine,' and now it's probably something like 'all for the sake (of a foolish love)' by Rufus Wainwright.

What exactly is a loin by the way?

6:41 AM  
Blogger What'sHerFace said...

I'll show you mine, if you...

12:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter Blogarama - The Blog Directory